1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) of active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (100 to 110 degrees F)
6 tablespoons white sugar set aside 1 tbsp for yeast mixture
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature (plus more for brushing)
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup room temperature whole milk
12 greased brioche tins or muffin pan with muffin cups
1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup white sugar
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. To activate the yeast, dissolve in warm water (100 to 110 degrees F) and add a tablespoon of sugar. Let sit for about 15 minutes until mixture doubles in volume and foamy . Make sure yeast is activated.
2. Sift together flour and salt, set aside. Place butter and sugar in a bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Beat on medium to high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
3. Turn the speed to low-medium, add egg yolks one at a time, beating well with each addition.
4. Add flour-salt mixture alternately with whole milk, mix well until incorporated. Slowly add the yeast mixture, mix well.
5. Replace the paddle with dough hook and knead the dough until smooth elastic.
6.Have the dough rest in a lightly greased bowl. Cover with cloth or plastic wrap and let the dough rise until double in size, about an hour or two.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
7. Punch down the risen dough and divide equally into 12 portions.
8.Flatten each piece using a rolling pin, (I make it real thin, the thinner the better) and brush with melted butter across the middle.
9. Roll each piece into a tight log and coil into a spiral-shaped dough. Either place the coiled dough flat on a greased baking sheet, or place in greased brioche molds or muffin cups.
10. Let them sit at room temperature to rise, about another 1 hour. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
11. Remove from the oven and let cool.
12. To prepare the topping, cream together butter and sugar using your electric or handheld mixer. Spread on top of cooled buns (depends on how much you want on them), then sprinkle with shredded cheese. Serve while still warm.
For the left overs for the next day or two: Microwave for 15 seconds of you want it a little warm and fluffy.